HISTORY OF CHANCE BROTHERS

A Few Facts

Some interesting information about Chance Brothers that you may not be aware of.

Even the foundation of the company is in dispute: 1822 is quoted by the Smethwick Local Historical Society and even a blue plaque on the old School Building shows this date. However, one thing is certain – the company did not start producing glass until May 1824, which is the accepted date of the founding of the company for most historians.

Chance Brothers was quite late entering into lighthouse manufacture. In 1851, it exhibited its first major optic: a 1st Order lens that was first seen by the public at the Great Exhibition. The image shows Queen Victoria (in the middle; pale-blue dress) with Prince Albert alongside.

By about 1870, Chance had reached its zenith and was employing upwards of 3,000 people.

The famous Chance script logo is actually Sir Hugh's signature and wasn't introduced until 1946.

Subscribe to receive our new Magazine

Chance Heritage Trust

T: +44 (0)121 663 1053

E: info@chanceht.org

Correspondence to our registered address:

E R Grove & Co. Ltd, Grove House, Coombs Wood Court, Steel Park Road, Halesowen, West Midlands. B62 8BF

OUR SPONSORS

logo_lyndon-sgb.jpg
logo_esmee.png
HistoryWM logo.png

Chance Heritage Trust Limited is a charitable Community Benefit Society registered under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 with registered number 8180

HMRC Charitable Status Registration: ZD06279

Company Registration No: 9486233

VAT No: 227 6121 25